Monday, February 11, 2013

Kiwis from Asturias



One thing I never knew before visiting Asturias is that Kiwi fruit grows exceptionally well here, so much so that there are several small scale producers and many small holding or larger garden that have a few vines. Another thing I never reckoned on was the range or varieties there are and how different each one is.


Each year around this time we buy a fair few Kiwis via Nigel from the Hotel Posada del Valle and his contact with a consumer group who source locally grown produce. The ones we buy are from a local organic kiwi producer who grows a lot of different varieties. In fact we've walked many times through the farm as it is on the way to the route of the watermills near Cuevas.

This year we bought 15kg in total but some of them were for our neighbour who likes to make kiwi jam.
At 1.80€ per kilo we were pleased with the quality.


This year's crop are large, sweet and when ripe, extremely juicy. I like to eat mine like a boiled egg, cut the top off and scoop out the bright green and juicy flesh, Luis carefully peels his and eats slice after slice until it's all gone. How do you eat yours?


4 comments:

  1. What luscious images! I'm in the peel and slice camp myself, but mainly because the kiwi fruit I buy here is never ripe enough for the scoop method.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember buying Kiwi in the UK that never ripened - probably picked way too early.

      Delete
  2. My mouth is watering, I'm a scoop out like a boiled egg girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really really juicy perfect for the boiled egg method...

      Delete

Click link to read more.